Training: The SpeakStrong Method for Continuous Improvement with Lean
Phrases, formulas and kata for continuous improvement
Are your effective communication skills as strong as your challenges are difficult?
Do they continuously improve along with your processes?
Communication is culture. As your improvement journey evolves, are your best practice communication skills keeping up?
Leadership and management communication are challenging enough in the simplest circumstances. The challenge increases multi-fold in the dynamic environment of a continuous improvement culture where leaders, managers, operators, educators, deep researchers and others strive to make improvements happen every day.
You can’t coerce continuous improvement. Your words need to inspire pull and prime the pump of collaborative excellence. It takes new language to communicate new ideas. Precise wording can inspire people to accept challenges and create new ideas and guide them through their challenges without triggering defensiveness and resistance. The SpeakStrong Method can support your lean journey.
The SpeakStrong Method is lean-aligned and kata-based
The SpeakStrong Method is founded on kaizen principles very similiar to the principles that underlie Lean, or Toyota Production System. The lean and quality industry were among my best clients before I recognized the alignment of my methods and their communication challenges. Fortunately, they figured it out before I did, and eventually I became a student of lean thinking, Toyota and employee empowerment, and a researcher of Lean communication.
The Lean community is going through a process of evolution to the incorporation of kata – or practices. Researcher Mike Rother was the first to detail the mechanics of the kata behind Toyota and employee empowerment.
The SpeakStrong Method also recommends kata to promote continuous communication improvement.
It systematically develops communication skill at every level by providing phrases, formulas and practical kata to develop your ability to practice lean. Communication standards provide concrete, shared targets to guide each step of communication PDCA cycles. A series of formulas, phrases and practices helps you eliminate communication waste, overload and inconsistency as your communication develops flow, effectiveness and efficiency.
The SpeakStrong Method provides a communication foundation for your lean and continuous improvement efforts
This program begins by describing and applying The SpeakStrong Method. We’ll practice a shared vision exercise to inspire a shared vision of what communication perfection is in a lean/continuous improvement culture. We’ll contrast that to our current communication reality, and create action steps toward target communication states.
Then we’ll look at the specific communication challenges of continuous improvement cultures, as well as how to talk effectively about lean and continuous improvement.
Some specific take-aways will be:
- The vital role of humility, what it looks like and how to turn “teacher syndrome” and other forms of rankism into reciprocal learning relationships
- The fine distinctions in word choice that make the difference between tired old ideas and expressions of a dynamic new reality
- How to apply a PDCA cycle to your communication development
- How to identify power-based language that blocks the open sharing of ideas – in yourself and others – and to replace it with collaborative, peer-based language that creates flow
- Why getting simple is difficult and what to do about it
- Phrases to talk about and practice lean and continuous improvement at every stage of the lean journey including how to…
- share the depth and significance of your own lean journey
- get people to stay open long enough to identify the root cause before prematurely jumping to solutions
- defuse defensiveness
- inspire creativity that is grounded in reality and aligned with mission
- create standards of communication and affirm commitment to them
- elevate “either/or,” false choice objections into new options
Discover ways to add impact, clarity and effectiveness to your message to bring lean principles to life.
The SpeakStrong Method for Continuous Improvement with Lean will give you all the tools to stay on the high side of every conversation and to keep your communication developing as dynamically as your processes are.
Contact Meryl to bring your lean practices to life with continuous improvement communication.